Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Hiatus

As the year draws to a close, I've been struggling with a terrible cold that has left me practically unable to speak and barely able to function. I finally broke down and went to see the doctor, hoping to get something to wipe out this crud. Fortunately, I've been able to communicate using text messages and emails.

One person with whom I've recently been in communication lives far away in England. She's someone who I had practically given up hope of speaking with again because our friendship had fallen apart along with our old punk band the Bags but I am hoping that the expression "time heals all wounds" will hold true and my old friend Patricia and I can pick up where we left off so many years ago.

Maybe it's the season or perhaps it's just the timing of this reconnection, coming as it does during the year of my 50th birthday, but it feels good to be back in touch with one of my dearest friends and someone who was once such an important part of my life. Patricia and I have lots of catching up to do and she has already sent me photos of her gorgeous daughter. It's also a remarkable coincidence that we are trading emails while I am writing about the early days of the LA punk scene and the Bags on my Violence Girl autoblogography. Patricia remembers details that I've forgotten, like why we kicked Geza X and Joe Nanini out of The Bags.

I'll be taking a break to recuperate and enjoy the holidays with my family but will be back with more episodes in the True Life Adventures of Violence Girl in 2009. Thank you all for continuing to read my blogs, your comments and words of support really keep me going. Here's hoping that 2009 will be a much better year and that time really can heal all wounds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alice:

So great to know you are communicating with Patricia. Howie and I didn't speak for many years, because I did something incredibly shitty to him. By the good grace of old(er) age, we now are in touch often.

We were all friends for a reason. While we grow, change, and morph into other things, the core remains.

Jenny Lens said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Here's to a better year on so many levels. Remember, eat fresh, eat seasonally, support local farmers, sleep as much as you need, and all that jazz. Much love and appreciation to you, your husband, your daughters and everyone else dear to you.