Sunday, January 08, 2006

Unpopular Culture - Diane Gamboa

My very first blog entry back in July 2004 was inspired by a friend of mine named Diane Gamboa. Diane is absolutely one of my favorite artists and one of my favorite people to hang out with, too.


Diane Gamboa in calavera makeup.

Diane's own photos and recollections of the East L.A. punk scene of the late seventies and early eighties are featured on the KCET website Rites of Passage. Be sure to check out the multimedia photo essay, entitled "Unpopular Culture," which can be seen here. It's filled with wonderful black and white images and features Diane's own voiceover narration as she takes you through the history of one of the most vibrant music/art scenes that blossomed once upon a time in ELA.

3 comments:

Peteykins said...

Hey, Alice! Great blog... I just discovered it. I was a punk kid in Tucson in the late 70s/early 80s, and I worshipped all you LA kids from afar.

Your site is a great read! The Women of Early Punk interviews are just fantastic.

Any chance of a Sue Tissue update? What an extraordinary performer she was.

Alice Bag said...

If anyone knows her contact info, please let her know that I'd love her to interview her.

Peteykins said...

That would be great. And also, of course, Diane Chai. I was fortunate that most of the greats played at least once in Tucson, and I was especially lucky to see the Alleycats three times. Her bass playing was mesmerizing.

Also lucky that it was easy for sixteen-year-olds to sneak into clubs back then!