Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Belated Mother's Day Post

This snapshot is from one of the old photo albums that my mother saved. I'm guessing this photo was taken in late 1978 or early 1979. Michael Gira (later of Swans and Angels of Light), me and Rick Jaffe/Morrison (BPeople, Catholic Discipline) are sitting on the steps outside my parent's house on Ditman Avenue in East LA. We were all experimenting with new musical styles by this time as early punk was splintering into post punk, dance, noise and hardcore.

The reason I've chosen to post this photo is that it reminds me of my mother, who was always warm and hospitable to my friends when they came to visit and hang out with me. She's probably in the kitchen while we're posing for this photo, whipping up some bean and cheese burritos to feed my hungry friends. She never made anyone feel strange or unwelcome simply because they had crazy colored hair or wore clothing that was considered "weird" at that time.

I'm very grateful to my mother for being so supportive and caring. If I hadn't had her and my father's unconditional love, I'm not sure how my life would have turned out.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the loving mothers out there.

3 comments:

LouisJacinto said...

And belated Mother's Day to you, Alice, both for your own family and children, as well as being like the "mom" of Los Angeles punk (I know this probably sounds so corny; maybe more like our young, revolutionary "sister" of punk, yes, I like that better!)

Mina said...

WOW! Thats cool I think i know where this is at!! I wish their were more moms like yours.

comms79 said...

SHOULDNT WE ALL LOVE OUR MOTHERS! SEE YOU @ THE VEX REUNION! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATIONS TO ALL:)