Thursday, May 07, 2009

Keep On Trekkin'

OK, I'll admit it. I can't wait to see the new Star Trek movie being released tomorrow. I've been a fan of the adventures of the Starship Enterprise since I was a young girl and I've never quite gotten over my childhood crush on Mr. Spock. I mean, what sensitive young female could possibly resist that tormented half-vulcan, half-human psyche hidden behind an (almost) impenetrable mask of stoicism? The infallible use of logic in the midst of chaos, the one eyebrow raised to indicate bafflement or surprise, the pointy ears with the bowl haircut and the (swoon) tapered sideburns?

But the hottest crew member hands down was Lieutenant Uhura, who helped define what it meant to be a strong, sexy woman for young girls like me. She wasn't just a sex kitten; as the ship's communications officer, she was smart and in control and quite possibly one of the first true feminist role models on TV.

It's probably obvious to people of my generation, but Star Trek is arguably one of the most influential cultural touchstones of the past fifty years. Sure, there have been more critically acclaimed plays, books, films and television shows during that time, but I can't think of one that touched on issues of war and peace, racial and gender equality, good and evil, the merits of unbridled technological advancement, the very nature of reality and the universe like Star Trek did. Perhaps Twilight Zone but that series never had the staying power of Kirk and co.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the early stories of some of my favorite fictional characters. I'll take my daughter of course and I'll bet you that she falls in love with Spock by the time we leave the theatre.

Live long and prosper,

Alice

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be sure to keep this in mind while you're watching.

Callen a esa chica said...

Alice,
How are you?
My name is Fernando, and I'm a young journalist who loves old school punk, new wave and goth. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but my musical heart is in USA ;).
I'm writing a book about women of punk and post-punk. I called the book "Callen a esa Chica", and I will publish them next year.
I love your work so much,
Fer.

comms79 said...

loved the movie, and I am not a trekkie per say, but the movie was awesome, so far the best of the summer:)

Anonymous said...

not a good movie. soundtrack ruins it even more so.