Saturday, June 03, 2006

Women In L.A. Punk, Part XXI - Kira Roessler



Kira Roessler is one of the most accomplished musicians to come out of the L.A. punk scene. In her lengthy career she's played with several bands, including Waxx, The Visitors, The Mommymen, The Monsters, Sexsick, Twisted Roots, Black Flag and dos. It always amazes me when I hear or read someone describe Kira as "one of the best female bassists." She is one of the best - period.

Kira modestly describes her contributions in her interview, but fans of hardcore punk will know that Kira's bass playing with Black Flag during their prolific mid-eighties touring and recording period helped sow the seeds of punk in every town they blasted through.

I can't recall the first time I met Kira. She used to frequent the Canterbury Apartments and the Masque. My recollection of her is that she was a very pretty tomboy who rarely wore make up or dressed up. I talked her into some make-up and had to persuade her to put on Nickey Beat's jacket for the photos I took of her in the hallway at the Canterbury. I'm glad she humored me.

In addition to her career in the film industry, Kira remains quite active in music and performs with dos, her band with ex-hubby Mike Watt.

Oh, and we both like Shakira better when she sings en espanol.

Click on the Women In Punk thumbnail to read her interview:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waxx was a great band and everyone in it deserves to be acknowledged. I NEVER hear ANYONE mention Waxx, yet they definitely had that sound of the Masque. The songs are as good as ANYTHING from the time you want to put up against it. People like the Germs get so much credit when they aren't worth a damn. Waxx is good and they are nearly lost to obscurity and I think it is a crime against humanity and history. LA Sextette has some of the sleaziest bass of the time. I absolutely love it. The time and place is definitely reflected in the music. Yet another amazingly great band, that is why the Masque is the best place ever. It seems like every band that played there just sounds amazing. 95% of the musicians that played there don't get told enough how good the music they made is. It's a shame. They are all great.

Uncle Jesse said...

thanks for writing that. i never knew the other bands she was in besides black flag. i'll have to check out dos now!
i love the Women in LA Punk series you're doing!

Anonymous said...

is that emil in the twisted roots photo? the emil who drummed in black flag for a short bit.

Anonymous said...

The very same. I am not sure what he is up to now, I would love to find out. Great drummer!