Thursday, October 21, 2004

The More Things Change...

Here's one last question from the interview I just completed. It has particular relevance to me because I see the same things happening in this country that I saw happening in the 1980's, only now the mass media in this country is almost completely controlled by people with a ve$ted intere$t in maintaining the status quo. Even if you don't agree with me, you should still seek out some news sources from outside of our country so that you can gain a different perspective on what's happening here and abroad.

Q: You also went to Nicaragua in the early eighties to gain some new
experiences, would you tell us something about that time and if it changed
your views on certain things and how do you see the political situation in
the U.S. in the moment...?


A: My trip to Nicaragua changed me forever. It made me realize how few material possessions a person needs to be happy and it put me back in touch with the values that living in a consumer society can deaden in you, basic human values like caring about your neighbor.

I realized that the U.S. government has been bought by corporate entities that have little regard for Americans and even less regard for the rest of the world. Their sole concern lies in expanding their control over the economic systems of the world. Countries are either to be exploited for their natural resources or else they are markets for goods that are produced elsewhere and controlled by the corporations. These corporate entities only have one natural enemy and that is a well-informed citizenry focused on self-determination. As an American taxpayer and a corporate consumer, I am complicit in my own government’s efforts to block other people’s movement towards self-determination. That’s what my experience in Nicaragua taught me.

I think we Americans need to get serious about taking back our country and making it responsive to our needs and goals. What’s happening in America right now could happen anywhere when people get too complacent.

-Alice



No comments: