Sunday, October 17, 2004

Remembering Craig Lee

Another question from my current interview with a German website:

Q: Are there any special persons that you do miss a lot from ´the old days`, like for example Tomata du Plenty, Jeffrey Lee Pierce or Kickboy Face, people that were as far as I can judge about it, very influential for the L.A. Punk scene as for the evolution in music in general?

A: I miss my old friends now and then, but I try to live in the present. I’ve lost so many friends over the years that I try not to think about it because it could easily become overwhelming. I do miss Craig Lee. He was like an older brother to me. We used to annoy each other just for fun. He came up with different names for me, like “Babylonian Gorgon” and “Violence Girl." He used to call me his “Gordita” which means “little fat one” in Spanish. I’d do little things to piss him off and then when the veins in his neck started to pop out and his face was nice and red, I’d laugh and really drive him crazy. The angrier he got, the funnier he looked to me. So I guess we had a kind of dysfunctional relationship, but I do miss his friendship. I don’t think people realize just how important Craig Lee was to the development of the whole underground music and arts scene in L.A. Craig’s was one of the first and most creative voices in the punk, post punk and alternative club scenes. I hope I get to annoy you again, Craig! But not right away.

.

No comments: